Friends – Realtor Sue Glenn and Carboro Developer Steve Heatherington hosted a community meeting at town hall recently to introduce the proposed development and to receive community questions and comments on it. THE PROPOSED DEVELOPMENT WILL BE PRESENTED TO THE TOWN PLANNING BOARD AT THEIR APRIL MEETING. The following are various points taken from the community meeting:
1. Heatherington came to the U.S. from Wales and started into development in 2006. He moved to N.C. in 2008. He told the meeting that he has focused on “…infill developments to revitalize and rejuvenate…”. His wife Heather, a North Carolina native, his local architect and engineer were present at the meeting.
2. A Standing room only capacity crowd of citizens attended the meeting.
3. THE PROPOSED DEVELOPMENT ON .337 ACRE WOULD HAVE 2971 SQUARE FEET OF RETAIL SPACE ON MAIN AND SIX RESIDENTIAL UNITS. HEATHERINGTON SAID THAT THESE UNITS WOULD BE FOR SHORT TERM RENTALS AT PROJECTED RATES OF $ 275/NIGHT FOR A 3 BEDROOM UNIT, $ 200/NIGHT FOR A 2 BEDROOM UNIT AND $ 150-175/NIGHT FOR A ONE BEDROOM UNIT. SIGNIFICANT VARIANCES FROM TOWN CODE LIMITS WILL BE REQUESTED FOR DENSITY AND HEIGHT.
4. The white house now on the property and the large Pine trees in front of the house will be removed.
5. Sue said the white house was built in 1887 by relatives of the Stringfellows who then owned Chetola. She said it was a residence until 1973 when it became an antique shop. Later Sue located Blowing Rock Realty in the building for 24 years. It has been empty for the last five years. Sue said the house is in very poor condition and that despite all efforts no buyer has been found who will preserve the house.
6. Efforts will be made to improve the exterior appearance of proposed buildings before presentation to the Planning Board.
The BRCA Development Evaluation Committee has met with Sue and is reviewing the project architectural and engineering plans. The committee will meet with the Town Planning Director and then with Sue, the developer and his team this Friday 3/9/2018. A committee report with further project information will be issued following these meetings.