Dear Friends of Blowing Rock
The Town Council will review and vote on a new subdivision of 5 single-family lots off of Rankin Road. The Winkler Family purchased the property and subdivided it into 7 homesites including one lot with a large home that is being renovated for their personal use and one lot on Rankin Road that has been subdivided and sold.
The Planning Board approved the project on February 20, 2020.
The permit is a CUP, meaning a quasi-judicial public hearing. Only adjacent residents have standing to speak about the project.
Our New Project Evaluation Committee led by Marshall Sealy reviewed the application, attended the public meetings and prepared the following project report to share the facts about the project.
1. Project Name: Rankin Road Subdivision
2. Application Type – Conditional Zoning CUP2020-01
3. Developer and Applicant – John Winkler
4. Developer Track Record – Significant developer and owner of properties in Blowing Rock and Boone who is currently completing Inn at Cornish on Main St and in design stage on Blue Ridge Hotel, also on Main St
5. Project Location – Rankin Road adjacent to Blowing Rock Country Club
6. Zoning District – R-15 ( 2 dwellings per acre)
7. Project Description – Existing property purchased with existing house to be renovated, house and lot to be sold, and addition of new road and subdividing remaining land into 4 or 5 lots for construction of new dwellings. This rezoning is for the road and lots to be developed. Preliminary plans included subdivided lot, road path with services in road and new plantings along road, and existing sewer details were available.
8. Lot sizes – 18,100 to 52,700 square feet
9. Footprint – same as 7
10. Topography – Around exiting houses and frontage on Rankin St, lot is reasonably level. The undeveloped land is reasonably flat on the north end of the property but at the south boundary, the land slopes away from Rankin Road significantly. That point is adjacent to the 17th hole of the Country Club which is straight downhill parallel to the property line – one of the steepest slopes on the golf course. Portions of the lots have sewer and creek easements or setbacks.
11. Use – Lots (price point ranging from $300 – 600K) for construction of single family homes. Lot price will drive the cost of homes to be built on each lot.
12. Adjacent property – Blowing Rock Country Club, Homes on Rankin Road, Grassy Knoll Way and Rickard Dr
13. Impact on Neighborhood – Construction of road and homes will impact neighbors with traffic, construction noise and eventual residential traffic.
14. Type of homes – Yet to be determined. John Winkler in answering questions, proposed establishment of Architectural review board approving each houses design. The Town Planning Board endorsed that proposal
15. Architectural Design – unknown at this time. See item 14
16. Height – same as 14
17. Setback – There is a creek bank through the rear of the lots to be developed. the extent of the creek bank will determine the developable area for each
18. Parking Requirement – same as 15
19. Greenspace – All lots are heavily treed with removal of trees for the road and optimum use of trees on the home sites.
20. Declared Variances by Staff – none noted
21. Code Interpretations by Staff – none noted. Planning Director noted all Codes and Regs were met.
22. Other information presented during Planning Board Meeting.
• Mr. Winkler made no presentation, but answered questions from the Planning Board and attendees.
• Answers from Mr. Winkler included
o Lots can be sold prior to completion of new road
o First activity will include remodel of existing home and guest home on property now
o Plans to make the existing house his home
o May build one new house, but he has not decided yet
23. Other items to note.
• The creek in the rear of the lots has little flow in dry weather.
• There were two neighbors present who had questions/concerns over density and noise .
24. Missing information – Stormwater provisions, but that will come with construction permits.
25. The proposed project appears to comply with the recommendations of the Comprehensive Plan and provides several additional home sites in a desirable location.
Copyright © 2020 Blowing Rock Civic Association, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in via our website.
Our mailing address is:
Blowing Rock Civic Association
PO Box 2471
Blowing Rock, NC 28605-2471
Add us to your address book
Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.